What President Akufo-Addo said after hearing of Christian Atsu’s death
Christian Atsu will “sorely be missed and difficult to replaced,” President Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has said following the confirmation of Christian Atsu’s death.
According to the President, “Ghana football has lost one of its finest personnel and ambassadors.”
The 31-year-old’s breathless body was pulled from the rubble in the region of Kahramanmaraş, in Turkey after a relentless search by his agent, Nana Sechere and some of his family members.
READ ALSO: We cannot question God in these heartbreaking situations – Kennedy Agyapong mourns Atsu
Atsu had been trapped under the rubble since Monday, February 6, 2023 until his remains was retrieved Saturday, February 18.
A search was mounted with the hope of finding him alive under the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that rocked Turkey nearly a fortnight ago.
The President, following the confirmation of his death expressed his condolences with the family with the ex Newcastle and Chelsea star.
Christian Atsu won 65 caps for Ghana and helped the Black Stars reach the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations final in Equatorial Guinea.
He also played 258 club games from ten different clubs ranging from FC Porto to Hatayaspor, scoring 24 times and providing 30 assists in the process.
I extend sincere, heartfelt condolences to the widow, children and family of our fellow Ghanaian, Christian Atsu, on the sad news of his death. Ghana football has lost one of its finest personnel and ambassadors, one who will be difficult to replace. He’ll be sorely missed. 1/2 pic.twitter.com/CqTkEsY4Op
— Nana Akufo-Addo (@NAkufoAddo) February 18, 2023